The phrase "slowly, and then all at once" famously originates from John Green's novel The Fault in Our Stars, where a character describes falling in love like falling asleep. It is a variation of Ernest Hemingway's line about bankruptcy ("gradually, then suddenly"), capturing how tipping points work in life.
The phrase means that a change or process happens in two stages: a long, invisible buildup phase where nothing seems to change, followed by a sudden, rapid tipping point where everything shifts at the same time.
We just hit a tipping point at the DLA. A big one. We found a way to double our membership (and it was already huge).
I was on a webinar a few weeks ago, and in the room was this guy from Linkme. He found me on my personal LinkedIn after the webinar. I make it really easy for people to find me: TomCapone.com goes to my LinkedIn profile. So, when I attend a webinar (or anything) getting people to 'click on' TomCapone.com is my money shot. Anyone that knows me has heard me say "Get 'em in the boat..." which means we can nurture them.. and then sort them out later. Life (and business) is all about attention > engagement > adoption > utilization.
If I can't get your attention I cannot teach you (or sell you) anything. But the ENGAGEMENT is everything. A car alarm going off at 2:00 AM is going to get your ATTENTION, but most people will just pull their pillow over their head until it shuts off. No ENGAGEMENT.
OK, you got them to engage. Great! Now what? It might not be a good fit for them. It might be 'cool' but not a fit for THEM. Thanks, but no thanks. It's 2026 and there are STILL people in the world who have never seen STAR WARS. Or tried Sushi. Or paid for an online course (or an entire college education).
I am going to jump ahead since if you got this far I (still) have your ATTENTION. The folks at Linkme have made the Distance Learning Association the exclusive vendor to offer all education niche members their own Linkme account. Like mine here: link.me/ThomasCapone
Linkme for Business. Linkme for Education. Linkme for actors, authors, teachers, trainers, coaches, mentors. Linkme is a 'tool' that enables massive zero spam, 100% opt-in, curated NETWORKING.
PENN STATE WORLD CAMPUS has 800K+ living alumni. PURDUE UNIVERSITY ONLINE has 600K+ living alumni. RUTGERS has 615K+ living alumni with 380K+ living in New Jersey - like me!
We have made Linkme a value-added member benefit of the (now) GlobalDLA.org So, not only can our 174K+ schools use Linkme but the ALUMNI NETWORKS of our 174K+ schools can ALSO use Linkme. For free. Well, technically it is not free, I'm buying. Well, it's free (to you) once you www.joinNYDLA.org so I guess it's really a member benefit. I think we need less words and more clicking at this point, don't you agree? (www.NYDLA.org/Linkme)
If you made it this far, we have clearly passed the ATTENTION phase and we are now deeply in the ENGAGEMENT portion of the program. You know, the call to action: >>> link.me/ThomasCapone <<<


No comments:
Post a Comment