If you simply type 'Seth' into the Google, the name Seth most commonly refers to two major historical and mythological figures: the biblical son of Adam and Eve in Abrahamic religions, and the ancient Egyptian god of chaos and storms.
But if you scroll down just a little, you find https://seths.blog and https://sethgodin.com
I know (for a fact) that just a few years ago if you just typed 'Seth' into search you found him - Seth Godin - first choice. I know this because I found that remarkable. For me it was a 'wow' moment. Just type 'Seth' and he came up first. That should make anyone pause.
I read Seth's daily blog, daily. Here is today for this Sunday, 8/16/2026: https://seths.blog/2026/08/replace-the-filters/ I get an email every day with the blog post of the day. And, I read it. Every time. And once in a while I go to the 'Best of the Blog' and read posts from days (years) ago.
Seth Godin is 'my smart'. Mine. There is a part of my brain that thinks that everyone on the planet read's Seth's Daily Blog. Like me. Obviously they do not. But again, there is a part of my brain that 'feels' like they do (or should). After all, Seth is 'my smart' and so he should be 'your smart' too.
There is a Project Management tool called Basecamp.com. It comes from the folks at 37signals.com They make three things that I pay to use: Basecamp, HEY! and Highrise. Funny thing about Highrise is that you (as in YOU) cannot buy Highrise today. They won't let anyone get a 'new' account, but if you are an existing paying customer (like me) you can keep using Highrise 'until the end of the Internet.'
Wow.
37signals (especially Basecamp) is 'my smart'. I can't imagine running a business without Basecamp. Just a few months ago the new and improved http://Basecamp.com/5 went live. I don't think I have been so excited about a product reveal.
I run a professional trade association, NYDLA.org. I think that everyone on the planet should be a member. As soon as I think that, my brain also says that is just dumb. EVERYONE CAN read Seth's blog. Or use Basecamp. I think there are 1B+ Zoom users in the world, but only a small fraction of those users pay to use Zoom.
After COVID Zoom became a verb. Getting a working Zoom account was expected. But getting folks to PAY to use Zoom, to access the higher professional features of Zoom became a slog. As of today, the world population is approximately 8.3 billion people. And according to the Google 300 million people (in total) use Zoom daily worldwide. SO that is 3.61% of the world population paying more than $0 to use Zoom.
As of today, there are approximately 250 million paying Amazon Prime members. 3.01% of the world population pays to use Amazon Prime. Like me.
OK, where are you going with this Tom? Land the plane....
Seth Godin, 37signals, Zoom, Amazon Prime are a part of my life. Every day. They are 'my smart'. Everyone has a collection of products, services, tools (and relationships) that make up their own 'smart' as in the things they use and experience every day. Some are free, some cost money. It is a good exercise to take a moment and think about how 'your smart' became yours.
And why you might say 'no' to something that could have been - would have been - should have been on your list. Your very own smart list.
It is smart to try things, at least once. You cannot say 'That is not my cup of tea' if you never tried tea in your life.


No comments:
Post a Comment