Sunday, August 7, 2022

I feel your pain

If you are reading on a smartphone, use landscape / hold phone sideways. 

Because I run the Distance Learning Association, Telemedicine and all things Telehealth / Healthtech / Medtech has been a big part of my world for many (many) years. I am old enough to remember the promise of Telemedicine from the New York City World's Fair way back in the 60s. It took a pandemic to make Telemedicine become "a thing" and it looks like it is here to stay. One time I spoke at the American Telemedicine Association (ATA) in Orlando and my topic was "Telemedicine is sick, but we can make it better." 

I recently met Allison Vorel, an Energy Medicine Practitioner in my town. I try to keep an open mind on most things. She told me about Reiki, Healing Touch, Sound Healing, Healing Circles and Distance Healing. 

The DISTANCE HEALING thing made me say "tell me more." She had me at.......distance.

Turns out that Reiki is a Japanese technique using the "laying on of hands" to reduce stress, promote relaxation, and activate the natural healing process. Reiki is a very simple yet powerful technique practiced for thousands of years. Reiki works in harmony with all kinds of treatment including medical and psychological care. It is offered as part of regular patient care in over 800 hospitals across the U.S., including operating rooms, and intensive care. Reiki decreases recovery time from surgery, improves mental attitude, and reduces unwanted side effects of medications, including chemotherapy and radiation and other medical procedures. It also works in conjunction with psychotherapy to improve healing of emotional trauma and can improve memory and enhance self-confidence. 

I work with BlueJeans (Verizon) and Zoom and Microsoft and all of the major cloud providers. I watched Distance Learning become DIGITAL Learning and now, it's all just DIGITAL LIVING. 

So, can things like Reiki work in the new world of remote? I mean, I can see it used in a wide variety of settings, including hospitals, wellness centers, private practices, long-term care facilities and spas. I know that it is taught in universities, medical and nursing schools and other settings internationally. And, Healing Touch has been endorsed by the American Nurses Association since 1997.

But can it be done remotely? Is distance healing a thing? 

Yes. Yes it is a thing. It is real, and it is becoming very popular.

I am smart enough to know what I don't know, and when I am not the expert in the room (on any topic). But through the magic of the Internet and, well, Distance Learning, you can always learn more. About anything. For those who are contemplating a Reiki distance session but are skeptical about energy work, it seems (to me) to be more about bettering your mind and actions as well as getting more insight into your current situation, and maybe some things you're struggling with subconsciously. I believe that anyone who is looking for some guidance answers, or a different perspective would benefit from this. 

And honestly, are we not all looking for these things? 

The key is to keep an open mind. As with most things, everything is new - once. But only once. Heck, it was only a few years ago that people were asking "What is Zoom?" And now, Zoom is a verb. And I laugh when people say "Hey, let's meet on Zoom" and they send a invite for a BlueJeans or a Microsoft Teams meeting. 

Will Reiki become big? Like Zoom big? 

I'm feeling.......yes. 






No comments:

Post a Comment