Sunday, November 1, 2020

A Heckler in the Room

I try to pay attention. When someone says that I should "check something out" I usually do. But when senior leadership of many vendors and sponsors of NYDLA say "check this out" I make it a point to listen AND act. I'm having a flashback to the old E.F. Hutton commercials: When E.F. Hutton talks, people listen. 

Hutton was a Wall Street heavyweight 40 years ago and still best known for its advertising slogan. I guess that was before insider trading was a bad thing. 

And so, throughout the recent Zoomtopia Users Conference (Virtual this year) I heard the name "Heckler" and then Dean Heckler and finally the folks at Logitech telling everyone to check out Heckler Design. OK! OK! I'm going!  

I found Dean Heckler on LinkedIn. I pinged him, short and sweet, first touch on October 25th. Five days after the first "hello" we recorded a video podcast. Two Zoom meetings later, we shall be offering the products and services of Heckler Design to the NYDLA / NADLA global community.

Done.

Here is my E.F. Hutton moment on this Sunday (for everyone). Zoomtopia was VIRTUAL this year, because of COVID. So many events that our community would have normally attended LIVE (COLLISION, Web Summit, NRF, etc.) were (and will now be) VIRTUAL. COLLISION had 32,000+ attend from home. At Web Summit next month, we expect 100,000+ to attend from home. Normally we would have 50,000+ attend NRF at Javits Center in NYC (live) and this year, it is virtual. I'll be attending, and also presenting - from my home - 25 miles west of Times Square. 

Last year, I presented at the Intrado Digital Media Summit, in NYC. This year, it shall be a virtual event with people sharing valuable insights, winning strategies, and new ideas in digital media. And food will be via Uber Eats, delivered to my home. 

The technology of today has changed the world forever. COVID just made 10 years worth of change happen in 10 months. And we are just getting started. 

If you Google "Heckler" you find a person who harasses and tries to disconcert others with questions, challenges, or gibes. Hecklers are often known to shout disparaging comments at a performance or event, or to interrupt speeches, with the intent of disturbing performers and/or participants. 

If you search for the antonyms of Heckler, you find Dean Heckler and Heckler Design. 

See you in the clouds.

NYDLA.org members receive special pricing
on all things Heckler Design






No comments:

Post a Comment