Sunday, March 10, 2024

That's not my job!

  If you are reading on a smartphone, use landscape / hold phone sideways. 

TomCapone.com here - hey ChatGPT: what's a job?

ChatGPT: Hey TomCapone.com: A job is a regular activity performed in exchange for payment, typically as part of one's livelihood. It is often associated with specific tasks, responsibilities, and a set of duties performed within an organization or for an employer. Jobs can range from manual labor to highly specialized professions, and they can be full-time, part-time, temporary, or contract-based. The primary purpose of a job is to provide individuals with income and financial stability, as well as opportunities for personal and professional development.

Hey ChatGPT: come again?

ChatGPT: Ah, TomCapone.com, please pay attention this time: A job typically refers to a specific task or set of tasks performed by an individual in exchange for monetary compensation or other benefits. It can also refer to a position within an organization or a profession that requires specific skills, knowledge, and responsibilities. Jobs vary widely across industries and sectors, ranging from manual labor to highly specialized roles in fields such as technology, healthcare, finance, education, and more. The concept of a job forms the backbone of most economies, as individuals engage in employment to earn a living and contribute to society.

Hey ChatGPT, I think I got it now: A "job" is a regular activity performed in exchange for payment or compensation. It typically involves specific tasks, responsibilities, and duties that contribute to the functioning of an organization or business. Jobs are often part of a larger career path and may require certain skills, qualifications, or experience. They can vary widely in nature, ranging from manual labor to professional roles in fields such as medicine, engineering, education, finance, and many others. Jobs provide individuals with a means to earn a living, support themselves and their families, and contribute to society. Do I have it right?

ChatGPT: did you Google that?  

Ah so, part of my "job" is to write a Sunday Blog. Like this one. And to post stuff on social media. Which is how you probably found this blog. And to interview people for video podcasts, and attend industry events. Like our www.CoffeeInTheClouds.us interviews which reach (checks notes...) MILLIONS of people. Did I just sound like Dr. Evil? Well, now I did, right? 

I have been getting the ExecuNet email newsletter since 1988. It's good. In fact, it is very good. If someone is looking for a job, I highly recommend them. If you are looking for a job - as in getting a paycheck, then using services like ExecuNet should help you to reach your objective. Today, in 2024, there are many "job boards" out there, Indeed and LinkedIn and ZipRecruiter come to mind. Also in 2024, there are many sites like Freelancer, People Per Hour, Fiverr, etc. that service "the gig economy" or independent contractors. I predict that many people who are reading this blog today have active profiles on such platforms. Here we go again: Hey ChatGPT: what is Fiverr?

ChatGPT: Are you still here???? Geeze. Ok, Fiverr is an online marketplace that connects freelancers with clients who need various digital services. It was founded in 2010 and has since grown to become one of the largest platforms for freelancers, offering services in categories such as graphic design, digital marketing, writing and translation, video and animation, programming and tech, music and audio, business, and lifestyle. On Fiverr, freelancers, also known as sellers, create profiles and list the services they offer, along with their pricing and turnaround times. Clients, or buyers, can browse through these listings, communicate with sellers, and hire them to complete specific projects or tasks. The platform is known for its user-friendly interface, wide range of services, and global community of freelancers.

Land the plane Tom.... land the plane.......

OK. Here is my point. In 2024, I have no idea what a "job" really is. Every day, people all around the world will say "I just lost my job" or "I just got a new job" or "I really hate my job!" And, I'm not sure they really know what the true definition of job is - because I sure don't. And all around the world, people are afraid that AI is going to take their job. That they will "lose their job" to technology. 

I know what it is like to get a paycheck, I did that in the early 80's. And I know what it is like to be on the "eat what you kill plan" as an Entrepreneur. Over my career, I have charged $0 for my time, and I have charged $5 per minute. If you are looking for a job, if you have a job, if you hate your job - I think "Job #1" is to know what your definition of "job" really is. Because today, this morning, I hired ChatGPT to help me to write my Sunday Blog - for free. So this morning, today, we both got paid $0 per hour. Or did we??? 

Good job, ChatGPT. Good job. 



No comments:

Post a Comment