Sunday, November 20, 2022

Thanks for everything

If you are reading on a smartphone, use landscape / hold phone sideways. 


Thanks. Thanks a bunch. Oh, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

We use expressions with thank you and thanks to respond to something politely and to show we are grateful for something. Thanks is more informal than thank you. We often add other words to make the response stronger:

I appreciate your help. I am grateful for your help. I am so very grateful for your time. I greatly appreciate your help. Thank you for such a wonderful contribution. Thank you for taking the time. Thank you for taking the trouble to help me. Thank you for the help! 

No response is necessary to a "thanks" - unless a question soliciting a response is in the thank you. Accept the thank you with a smile. Unless you want to use the thank you email as a segue into continuing the conversation - there is no need to respond. 

How do you reply to a "thank you" professionally?

I appreciate your message. Your message means a lot to me. Thanks for the kind words. Glad I could help. It's great to know I've made a difference. It's my pleasure! No need to say thanks; it's what I do. 

The phrase any time is also used as an informal response to a person expressing thanks. Similar to you're welcome, for example, when someone thanks you for helping them, you might respond by saying "Any time! Glad to help!"

What emotion is thankful?

Gratitude is one of the many positive emotions. It's about focusing on what's good in our lives and being thankful for the things we have. Gratitude is pausing to notice and appreciate the things that we often take for granted, like having a place to live, clean water, friends, family, even access to the Internet. 

An attitude of gratitude means making the conscious habit of expressing appreciation on a regular basis for big and small things alike. We may be grateful for our relationships, health, business, material items, food in our kitchen, running water in our homes, and our overall sense of well-being. 

People who are thankful often have the same agenda, but they have a different attitude. It is not one of self. It is one of humility. They recognize the importance of others even over their own. Being thankful for what you have is conceived as virtuous, while acts expressing gratefulness to those who have benefitted you is often regarded as morally praiseworthy, if not morally expected. 

A recent survey showed that an employee's job satisfaction, motivation, and feelings of self-worth are all tightly linked to a supportive boss and rise and fall according to how much support they get. 

"To add value to others, one must first value others." ~ John Maxwell

"Leaders don't inflict pain, they share pain." ~ Max Depree

"To win in the marketplace you must first win in the workplace." ~ Doug Conant

In 2023, we are making the conversion to an employee owned business. Our people are invited to become fractional owners, if they wish to do so. In the USA, only around 31% of employees feel fully engaged with their work. Sometimes it takes a little something extra, and that bit of magic can be difficult to describe.

As we enter into the Thanksgiving Week, I am very much aware that everything I have, everything I own, everything that I get to enjoy - I owe to others. My customers, my vendors, my staff - they are the reason for my current status in business and in life. And of course - my family

There are a few rules that I have in business. One is that profitability = freedom. It is very hard to be generous, it is very hard to pay it forward - if you are broke. The other rule is to teach everything you know. By doing this, you make it better for the next generation. You can leave things better than how you found them. None of us lives forever, but together - you (all) can build something that does. 

As a parent, the only thing you want to hear from your kids is this: "I'm healthy, I'm happy, and I appreciate all of your support. I know that I can always call you about anything, anytime. I love you." 

There is a concept of "work - life balance" where you don't live to work, but you work to live. I understand. I get that most workplaces are not, well, not fantastic. Today, the news is full of stories of layoffs, and poor working conditions. Bosses treating people shabbily. It is hard for me to understand how this still exists. By now, you would think that business leaders would have figured out that passionate productive people produce profits! 

As I head into Thanksgiving week, I am full of appreciation, gratefulness, gratitude, and thankfulness. I am going to be putting up an away message on my email. I am going to say that I will not be checking emails until Monday, 11/28. And that, will be a lie. 

When you love what you do for a living, when you love your profession - you GET to go to work. You GET to check emails. You GET to hang out with your friends and family. You know, hanging out with your vendors, sponsors, clients, customers, your workers, your contractors, your staff. You know - hanging out with your family. 

Hey, they made Thanksgiving a national holiday here in the USA - by an act of Congress - in 1942. 

That might be one of the best "Acts of Congress" ever.

"The First Thanksgiving at Plymouth" (1914) by
Jennie A. Brownscombe



No comments:

Post a Comment