Sunday, April 18, 2021

I was just trying to yelp

If you are reading on a smartphone, use landscape / hold phone sideways.

According to Merriam-Webster, a yelp is a sharp bark or cry (as a dog or turkey). To utter a sharp, quick shrill cry. Howl, scream, screech, shriek, squeal, yell. "The dog yelped in pain." 

And Yelp the company, which you can read all about here, has a complicated relationship with small business.

Yesterday, while visiting my son in Connecticut, we had take out from Carmine's. We went to their website to check out the menu, and to place an order for pick-up. 

The first thing my son said was: "Wow, they have 1,046 votes of 4.9/5 on Yelp."

He was impressed.

I find it funny how to me, being older, I associate Yelp with pain. I associate Yelp with a negative. If a customer or a consumer is yelping about something, they are not in their happy place. 

Facebook, Google, Tripadvisor all gave good to great reviews. As did Yelp. It appears that there were no Yelpers who were not Helpers. 

Here in my town of BOONTON USA there must be at least ten Pizzeria Restaurants - including a Domino's Pizza. And they all have Yelp reviews. If you want to see how mean Yelp reviewers can be, check out the reviews of Domino's in BOONTON USA. One jumped out at me:

"Seriously? We're not in the mid-West. There are AMAZING REAL Pizzerias up and down Main Street Boonton, and you order from Dominos? What are you, stupid?" 

Also this: Domino's Pizza (DPZ) stock is +1.84 at $394.83 as of April 16th 2021.

All of this got me to thinking about MY business, and the cloud, and telecom and technology. There are basically three carriers for 5G in the USA, and I sell them all. Need 5G for your business?  Well then, get www.5Gfor.biz thank you very much. 

There are around the same number of video conferencing companies in the USA as there are Pizzerias in BOONTON USA. And, I also sell them all. There is no secret (to anyone who knows me even a little bit) that I am a Zoomie. I love all things Zoom. But there is ALSO a time and a place for WebEx, or Microsoft Teams, or BlueJeans, and others. Or shall we say BlueJeans by Verizon now that Verizon decided to get into the Denim Jeans business (bad joke, sorry). 

What is Net Promoter Score you ask?

NPS is a customer loyalty metric that measures customer's willingness to not only return for another purchase or service, but also make a recommendation to their family, friends or colleagues. Is Zoom Video Communication's NPS of 62 considered to be good?

Yes, it is. Actually VERY good indeed. 

Net Promoter Score is a number from -100 to 100. Scores higher than 0 are typically considered to be good and scores above 50 are considered to be excellent

By the way, Yelp, Inc. has a Net Promoter Score of 3. But if you really want to be entertained, take a look at the Yelp reviews of...... Yelp. Pot, meet Kettle. Hey folks! If you like to complain about stuff, we built a company just for you! 

Call me old school, but I like to know what I am talking about before I speak. I first use (or eat) things, and then I have an opinion. And, I am happy to share what I picked up along the way, teaching everything I know to be true. At least, my version of the truth. To me, influencer marketing is great, celebrity marketing - not so much. 

And finally this: The Chicken Parmesan Sandwich at Carmine's Pizza & Take Out at 16 Main Street in Durham, Connecticut was AMAZING

[ But NOT as good as Top of the Park in BOONTON USA!!!! ]

And if you go to Top of the Park, ask Joe for THE CAPONE. 

Trust me. First-hand knowledge is always the best. 

The "CAPONE"









No comments:

Post a Comment