Sunday, October 20, 2024

Teaching, Training, Coaching, Mentoring

"The EDUCAUSE Annual Conference connects the best thinkers in higher education technology. Join the (now) GlobalDLA.org in San Antonio October 21–24, and online November 13–14. This is THE event where professionals and technology providers from around the world gather to network, share ideas, grow professionally, and discover solutions to today’s challenges. It’s the largest gathering of your peers…people you can relate to, learn from, and stay connected to throughout the year." ~ TomCapone.com | CEO | GlobalDLA.org

That was my blurb promoting EDUCAUSE. If you are in education at any level (teaching, training, coaching, mentoring) you should attend EDUCAUSE LIVE or virtually. It is by far the best conference of the year. So far over 3,000+ DLA members have already registered to attend. 

I ran MyTeachingPartners.com since the days of dial-up Internet. Back in the day, 'Distance Education' was putting VHS tapes in envelopes and mailing them out. 

I remember my days at PURDUE. I live 735.3 miles East of PURDUE campus, and I must have made that trip a few dozen times in the 80s. I also remember flying home a few times for the holidays. It was cool that PURDUE had its own airport. As I reflect on my days at PURDUE, I am reflecting on the classroom experience.

The lecture halls were huge. And way down in front would be a Professor, with a Overhead Projector. Oh man, the memories of going to EE129 (Electrical Engineering 129) Lecture Hall at PURDUE to listen to a lecture, with a grease pencil in the hands of a teacher. I remember taking Freshman Calculus in that room, with probably over 1,000 other students. Several lectures a day, several hundred students (shuffling in and out) of EE129, to watch a teacher with a PhD do Calculus, on the overhead. I remember one time, the 'bulb' burned out in the Overhead five minutes into the lecture, and class was dismissed

Today, in 2024 I think back about how many times I drove back and forth to PURDUE in West Lafayette, Indiana. I think about how there were 'some' classes (like Chemistry Lab) where you HAD to physically be on campus. But English? Or Calculus? I am reflecting how many times I made the trip to PURDUE just so that I could sit in a lecture hall with that Overhead Projector. Today, you can do that lecture via Zoom, or maybe even via YouTube. I could have easily attended PURDUE Freshman Calculus from home, if the technology existed in the day.

FOR THE FIRST TIME, there are more people paying tuition to attend college or university online (remote) than from a traditional campus. No dorm rooms (or meal plans) required. And now via high speed global Internet via services like Starlink, you can truly attend PURDUE UNIVERSITY ONLINE from anywhere in the world. 

There are 174K+ (K-20) portfolio schools serviced by the NADLA.org across North America. And they are all fighting for the same tuition dollar. I am sure that this year at EDUCAUSE we shall see many new and amazing education technologies, and TBLS (Technology Based Learning Systems). There is no longer a 'geographic boundary' that separates a RUTGERS from a PURDUE from a UCONN (or any school). All 8 Ivy League Schools offer online programs. NYDLA.org/HARVARD has been live on our website for many years. 

What will become the next Overhead Projector? I wonder what education technology will become 'just a memory' of days gone by - and trigger conversations of "Hey - do you remember sitting in a lecture hall, watching someone draw with a grease pencil on a piece of plastic?" And of course, we had to take notes.... in a notebook. With pen and paper. How about this memory:

"Hey, I missed class - can I see your (handwritten) notes from the lecture?" 

Ah yes, good times. 







No comments:

Post a Comment