Sunday, April 23, 2023

Rotisserie Chicken Tuesdays!

If you are reading on a smartphone, use landscape / hold phone sideways. 

Running low on dinner ideas? Look no further, grab a freshly made rotisserie chicken for just $6.99 each Tuesday at Kings Food Market! Make dinnertime a breeze with all-natural ingredients and gourmet flavors. 

I live in Boonton Township, NJ which is around 30 miles (as the crow flies) West of Times Square NYC. So now you are picturing a Crow (make it a Pigeon) flying due West from NYC to NJ, right? OK, well NOW you are. 

And I shop at Kings in Boonton (almost) every day. I am a terrible shopper. If something is on the end of the aisle, it has a good chance of making it into my shopping cart. I always take a tiny cart, better yet I try to use one of those tiny baskets that you have to carry. If the basket gets heavy, then I bought too much. 


So, it is "in my brain" that Tuesdays is Cheap Chicken Day at Kings. Normally $9.99 you save $3 on Tuesdays. Hey Dianne, it's Cheap Chicken Day - I'll get dinner! 

Pivot: my friend just bought a video conferencing camera from Amazon. Actually my GOOD friend, someone who KNOWS what I do for a living, bought a camera - from Amazon. My friend of 10+ years who knows that I sell (every) brand of video conference camera - a PAID member of NYDLA.org - did not even think to buy it from me. We shall come back to this.

I am not the "primary" grocery shopper for the household. My wife is good at it, I am not. She knows the ins and outs of ShopRite, ACME, ALDI, and others. Sometimes she gives me a short list for things that we need (bread, dog food, eggs) but it is not the major grocery shopping for the week. It usually goes something like (text to Dianne) "I'm at Kings. Do we need anything?" USUALLY she says "Don't buy anything!" Kings, it turns out, is too expensive. Or better put - is more expensive than ACME, which is more expensive than ShopRite, which is more expensive than ALDI

Pivot again: my video conferencing shopping friend has a very interesting business. They do PowerPoint presentations for Fortune 1000 companies. He has clients who need PERFECT presentations. Think of a big pharma company launching a $100M+ campaign for a new drug or such - they need a perfect pitch deck. My friend owns a boutique digital agency that makes perfect PowerPoint presentations for clients that are willing to pay big bucks for - perfection. My friend's clients are not shopping for a bargain. In fact they are very aware that this PowerPoint is going to cost several hundred dollars - per hour. Several

WHY do I have "Cheap Chicken Day" renting space in my head? WHY do I (now) refuse to buy rotisserie chicken from Kings unless it is Tuesday? Ah, did you know that ACME (a mile down the road) has rotisserie chicken for $7.99 every day. And, my wife now tells me that - one day a week - ACME has rotisserie chicken for $5.99!!! WHAT? That feels like Gastronome Blasphemy! 

Wait, there's more! It turns out that Kings AND ACME are owned by Albertsons! Turns out that a ton of stores across the country are owned by Albertsons. 

Both Kings and ACME have a loyalty club - an app - but it all rolls up to Albertsons. I could save even more money if I got the app. I could get digital coupons! I could get spiffs and specials and deals - and free stuff on my birthday (if I tell them my birthday). So, I have Kings Cheap Chicken Day renting space in my head, but I will not go to ACME - FOR THE SAME EXACT CHICKEN - and - I did not (and don't) feel that I will be getting the Kings - ACME - Albertson app. What is wrong with me?

The Kings app is free. The Kings app would save me money. I know this. And still I will not change my shopping behavior. I asked my friend directly: "Why did you not get your new camera from me?" And he honestly said, very simply: "My brain is trained to Google stuff, and just buy stuff from Amazon. It's easy, it's simple." 

Buying behavior is a powerful thing. 

Epilogue: I am a Tier 1 ELITE partner with Verizon. My gross margin is 50% - that's FIFTY PERCENT! Example: if someone were going to get BlueJeans by Verizon they would save 50% if they get BlueJeans by Verizon from me. 

If anyone in North America is ever, ever, EVER going to get BlueJeans by Verizon they should www.GetBlueJeans.com !!! And yet... 

Kings (Albertsons) cannot force me to download and use their app. Maybe once I see enough of my friends using the app, maybe once someone in my family starts using the app, maybe once I feel that I am the only one on the planet who is NOT using the app - I'll start using the app. I think that this is how (and why) I originally started using Uber, and Netflix, and even Amazon Prime. I felt left out. I felt like I was missing out on all the fun. So I made the leap - to Uber and Netflix and Amazon Prime. And now, many others.  

And so: my PowerPoint making friend with the million-dollar digital agency (my friend who will surely read this Sunday blog) don't be chicken. Start shopping at the Technology Assurance Cooperative (TAC-USA.com) for all of your telecom and technology needs. Make the leap! Why pay more?  

It is the way... (assuming you pay for Disney+ )

Shop at TAC-USA.com for all of your
Telecom and Technology. No app required.



No comments:

Post a Comment