Sunday, December 4, 2022

It's always been you, Rach.

If you are reading on a smartphone, use landscape / hold phone sideways. 


Many times (not all the time) if you purchase enough books an author will speak to your group or speak at your event for free. At NADLA.org we have many Fortune 1000 clients where we help them to host complete, end-to-end hybrid meetings and hybrid events. So, it is not uncommon for us to purchase thousands of books from amazing authors. We did that with Macmillan division Flatiron Books for an upcoming BlueJeans by Verizon Telehealth Summit. Matthew Perry's memoir which details his struggles with addiction is one of the best books I have read in years. Everyone who attends the Telehealth Summit (live or virtually) will get a copy of Matthew's book for free, as a thank you for attending. And, mental health is health. 

In 2017 I did an audio podcast with Pamela Slim. She is an award-winning author, speaker and business coach who works with small business owners ready to scale their businesses and IP. She is the author of Escape from Cubicle Nation, Body of Work and The Wildest Net. 

I will admit, doing the interview with Pamela back in 2017 was a big deal for me. I was just getting started in doing podcasts, and I really did not know what I was doing. At all. Pam is frequently quoted as a business expert in press such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, BusinessWeek, Forbes, Entrepreneur, Information Week, Money Magazine and Psychology Today.

In 2016, Pam and her husband Darryl co-founded the K’é Main Street Learning Lab in Mesa, Arizona, a grassroots, community-space for equity-centered small business economic acceleration. 

In her book The Widest Net, Pam explains how to build strong diverse relationships, identify and connect with new partners, expand markets, generate leads, and find new customers in places you may never have considered. With Pam's book as a guide, readers learn how to connect with potential clients and customers using the true breadth of the marketplace, which she calls an ecosystem of living connections.

The Widest Net shows how to:

  • Search outside your own lens/bias/routine/history to target ideal customers.
  • Attract the interest and attention of new leads by learning more about them authentically.
  • Develop products and services suited to these customers.
  • Sell through a trusted reciprocity framework where your customers become part of your ecosystem and you each help the other grow.
  • Build and sustain loyalty and trust with new customers.
  • Nurture a diverse and resilient customer base by identifying and adjusting to the ideal customer target over time.
By the time you read this Sunday blog, Pam's new NYDLAcast.com (video podcast) might be (hopefully) live on our website. We recorded just last Thursday afternoon. 

Matthew Perry's book and upcoming NYDLAcast.com interview triggered me to rewatch some Friends episodes. I don't think I rewatched them all, but I think I came close. I did catch the one where the character Ross Geller says "It's always been you, Rach." 

I met Pamela Slim in 2017 when we did the interview and then pretty much, nothing

It was thank you thank you thank you for doing my audio podcast - and then - nothing. OK, life goes on, people get busy and all that. But here is what happened last month. 

As I was doing more and more and more video podcasts, I thought about all those audio-only interviews that I did years ago, and who should I try to reconnect with and do a new, fresh video interview? Pamela said yes so fast, that you would think that we were best friends.

The person that was SUPPOSED to play the Chandler Bing character in Friends was Matthew Perry's real-life best friend Craig Bierko. Perry actually coached Bierko for the Chandler role while Perry was still attached to another series. Bierko was offered the role on Friends - and turned it down. Turned. It. Down. And when Friends went on to become a mega hit, real-life best friends Perry and Bierko did not speak for two years. Two. Years. Now in 2022, it seems they are back to being best friends again. 

As I sit here and reflect on life's twists and turns, it really hit me. I met Pamela Slim via another friend (and amazing human) Michele Woodward. And my interview with Pam in 2017 was like an "I've made it!" moment for me as far as podcasting goes. And then almost radio silence with Pam until just a few weeks ago. And now, it feels like we are (for me, anyway) best friends. So, I am reflecting on this Sunday morning - about friends, about business, and about friends in business.

It was approximately 260 weeks ago (1,826 days) that I interviewed Pamela Slim the first time. The most recent time was 3 days ago. All that time that passed between the first interview and the second interview makes me borrow the line from Friends character Ross Geller:

"It's always been you, Pam." 




“Could I BE anymore excited for this?”







No comments:

Post a Comment