￼Dear friends, colleagues, and random people in my LinkedIn network: I hope that your 2016 is off to a wonderful start. I was fortunate to receive an advance copy of Adam Grant’s new book “Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World”
Did you make your New Year’s Resolutions yet? If not, you might want to hold up.
Adam’s new book is about how anyone can speak up and champion new ideas, leaders can fight conformity, and parents can raise children to think differently. Originals is about the choice to battle conformity, buck outdated traditions, and champion ideas and values that go against the grain. Using surprising studies and stories spanning business, politics, sports, and entertainment, Grant explores how to recognize a good idea, speak up without getting silenced, build a coalition of allies, choose the right time to act, and manage fear and doubt; how parents and teachers can nurture originality in children; and how leaders can fight groupthink to build cultures that welcome dissent.
You'll learn from...
An entrepreneur who pitches his start-ups by highlighting the reasons not to invest
A woman at Apple who challenged Steve Jobs from three levels below
An analyst who overturned the rule of secrecy at the CIA
A billionaire financial wizard who fires employees for failing to criticize him
A TV executive who didn’t even work in comedy but saved Seinfeld from the cutting-room floor
Adam Grant is part of the NYDLA “Talent” collaborative I would greatly appreciate your support in getting his book off to a strong start.“Originals: How Non-Conformists Move the World” If you’re a giver who enjoys being helpful, a matcher who thinks you owe me a favor (you don’t), or a taker, here are few ways to help:
1. Pre-order the book. Pre-orders make a big difference in encouraging Amazon and bookstores to notice, stock, and promote a book. This one is available in paper, electronic, audio, and stone tablet formats: http://adamgrant.net/originals
2. Take the quiz. Here’s a sneak preview of what it takes to be original, in the form of a 15-question quiz: http://adamgrant.net/quiz
3. Spread the word. Below my signature are some quotes from the book. You’re welcome to share them—or the quiz—via Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and singing telegram.
4. Meet Adam on tour. Adam will be speaking and signing books in Chicago, LA, London, NYC, Philly, Santa Barbara, Seattle, Toronto, Vancouver, and Washington DC: www.adamgrant.net/events
If you made it this far, I’m grateful. And to prove it, all paid members of the NYDLA.org for 2016 will get a FREE copy of BOTH of Adam’s books in electronic format (Give and Take & Originals). Really. It’s on me (because I read his FIRST book). Just click here and place Adam Grant in your subject line. DONE.
Best wishes for a happy and healthy 2016.
· In search of excellence and in fear of failure, most of us opt to fit in rather than stand out. #Originals: www.adamgrant.net/originals
· Being original doesn't require being first. It just means being different and better. #Originals: www.adamgrant.net/originals
· Enemies make better allies than frenemies. #Originals: www.adamgrant.net/originals
· Dissenting opinions are useful even when they're wrong. #Originals: www.adamgrant.net/originals
· Great leaders don't just bring original ideas into the world. They unleash originality in others. #Originals: www.adamgrant.net/originals