Sunday, August 19, 2012

Help! Text the Police!

I had to call the police this week.  Actually, I had to call them twice. The first time, I called them directly - as in NOT by dialing 911. I called and said “this is NOT an emergency. At least not yet”.

I’ll give the short version here: a bunch of guys working at our home did a big “Bozo No-No” on our property, which prompted me to call the police. I told the police that I am about to explain to this contractor and his crew their multiple errors in judgment, and that there is a chance that HE might be calling 911 in a few minutes. I thought it would be a good idea if I called the police first, to get my side of the story on the record. I might not be able to speak intelligently during my conniption. 



 Now, I don’t know the last time you had to call the police for anything, but in my town, in my neighborhood in Northern New Jersey:

  • The police have a website.
  • All police officers in our town carry cell phones.
  • All police use texting to and from their phones - to landline phones.

I have been selling cellular phones and service since 1983. I probably sent one of the first “texts” to and from phones as a paying customer, when it was around $0.50 per message. I found it amazing that the police in our town use texting - and - they actually prefer texting for non-emergency communications. 


 
Texting In Class During Exam - Hire that Man!

I don’t have the need to call the police often, and I cannot remember the last time I needed to do so.  But I had no idea that texting is now the preferred method of communication between the citizens and the local police. It turns out that the texts are a permanent record, and that the texts go to multiple people, including the 911 dispatch center, just in case it is indeed an emergency. The texting also automatically tracks the communication, so that via GPS tracking, the phone sending the text is tracked to within a few feet of the caller’s location.

Texting has become the preferred method of communication for the police. You can always dial 911, if it is a true emergency. But calling 911 in our town goes to the county Sheriff’s office. The Morris County Sheriff takes all 911 calls, for multiple towns in Northern New Jersey.  If you want your local constable, you should send them a text.  

 

What’s next?  Twitter?  Facebook? Texting is cool, but it might take some time for me to get used to texting the police. I have never in my life had to call the fire department, but I guess they will be next.

OMG! House is on fire. RU coming? Not LMAO!


By the way if you want my contact information, text
TOM to 70101 and you will get my mobile business card on your cell phone. Seriously, try it. Paper business cards are so 90's


No comments:

Post a Comment