Sunday, April 22, 2012

Holy $h*T Batman!




I always loved Batman when I was a kid. I guess I loved Iron Man too. More than the others, these were normal guys (less the billions of dollars in the bank) and they had all the cool toys.  They had the technology that used just in the right way, at the right time, would save the day.

Ah yes, the utility belt.  Talk about technology saving the day.  No matter how big the problem, Batman could find something in his utility belt to get him out of his jam, and most of the time – his cool technology would save the day.

Iron Man has the cooler suit, but Batman has more gadgets.  Bat phones, Bat Poles, Bat Boats, and they all came from the Bat Cave. 

The thing is this – it is not the technology – it is how you use it.  The Evil Villains also had their own technology.  If you think about it, it was always good guys vs. bad guys, each with their own gadgets or gizmos.

Facebook is officially cool, I have voted.  At first I stayed away from using Facebook as I just don’t have a lot of time for chit chat. But as I saw more and more business websites with Facebook buttons, I had to dig deeper and find out what’s going on, especially if this was going to so big for online business and eCommerce. Whether I like it or not, I need to know what I am talking about, if I am going to sell it. I have to do the research. In July of 2010, there were 500,000,000 official “friends” on Facebook.  I think the number is now close to 900,000,000 registered users.

A few days ago, I had an idea. It was inspired by Caine’sArcade.  What if Facebook charged $0.01 per post, and what if that money was dedicated to eliminating poverty in the world?  What if that money was allocated to providing technology and education to those who could never hope to experience anything like – well – like Facebook?  Yeah, Facebook is “free” but it is not really free – we all contribute to the Mark Z. zillionaire fund via the hidden advertising revenue. Every time we use Facebook “for free” we are helping billionaires become zillionaires. Is a penny per post too much?  That's fine: $0.001 per post would also change the world. Exactly how many Bat Caves does one need?


What if using something like Facebook (or Twitter, or Pintrest) was directly related to eliminating hunger in the world, or if social media was connected to providing clean drinking water to those who walk miles for their fresh water. What if every joke posted on Facebook was directly connected to easing pain and suffering in the world. I would not mind the bad jokes and mindless posts on Facebook so much, if they were also saving lives with each click.

Social Media. Social. Say it out loud: SOCIAL media.  Wait around 30 seconds, and say it again. Social. Media.  Go look up the word Social, and the word Media.

I am not trying to upset the world here (yes I am).  I am not trying to create a problem for the owners of social media companies (yes I am).  But I have seen some crazy “stuff” go viral on the Internet.  The technology is there; it is just waiting for something really cool and beneficial to the planet to go viral. Maybe something more than jokes.

What do you think?  If you ever want to contact me……… Just click here: Tom@MTP-USA.com


No comments:

Post a Comment